Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
Location/Division Specific Information
Within the Chemical Analysis Division, the Materials and Minerals business unit is responsible for developing product inspection equipment which include checkweighers, metal detectors, and x-ray systems. These products are used in various applications, including the food industry, where under/over weight products or products with contaminants (metal, glass, & other foreign objects) are identified and rejected (if necessary). The position will be based at our facility in Coon Rapids, MN or Franklin, MA.
How will you make an impact?
You will be part of a collaborative engineering team that is responsible for designing Weighing, Metal Detection, & X-Ray systems to meet customer specifications and releases these “jobs” to planning and purchasing for production. You will deliver robust electrical controls/automation designs (schematics, component selection, etc.) and support on time delivery to our customers.
What will you do?
- Design UL508a, CSA certified control panels for Metal detectors, X-Ray, and Checkweigher (some with Hazardous location)
- Develop conveyor control systems using Servo Motor Drives, and VFDs (Allan Bradley POWERFLEX 4M/525, ABB)
- Program and test different types of communication modules (Modbus TCP/IP, Ethernet/IP, Profinet, Devicenet, OPC UA , RS-232, RS-422 Modbus RTU, etc. )
- Design product detection, category 3 safety circuits, and Barcode detection methods (Cognex/Sick barcode scanner, vision systems, etc.)
- Select, modify, and design electrical drawings and select electrical components
- Provide costs for all electrical aspects of custom builds following our custom quote process
- Work with outside vendors to source new and alternative parts for End of Life components
- Process ECOs for electrical drawings, manuals, procedures, and item changes. Update documents as needed.
- Support multi-functional groups in Sales, Customer Service, Tech Service, Marketing, and US & China production sites (system assembly, wiring, checkout, testing)
- Provide project management support (as needed on new projects)
How will you get here?
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with 5+ years of experience or Associate degree with 7+ years of experience
- Highly proficient with reading and creating schematics through AutoCAD (mechanical and electrical)
- Previous experience with AC & DC motors, controllers, power supplies
- Excellent electrical and mechanical troubleshooting skills
- Experience with PLC programming & comprehension (Allan Bradley Micro 810/820/830, Connected Component Workbench (CCW), Panel view HMI, Allan Bradley ControlLogix, Studio 5000)
- Prior experience with Cognex/Sick Barcode Scanner, and Vision System is highly preferred
- Strong mechanical aptitude with the ability to solve equipment problems (conveyors, metal detectors, x-rays and checkweighers – with some training)
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Familiarity with ISO standards
- Highly knowledgeable with regulatory standards (UL, CSA, CE, etc.)
- Ability to understand and develop designs using safety relays, control transformers, photo sensors, magnetic switches, solenoids, 24VDC power supplies, and pressure sensors.
- Knowledge of basic networking (Switch, IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, etc.).
Relocation assistance may be provided if relocating to our Coon Rapids, MN site.
Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com