What We\'re Looking For
Leads project controls for assigned project(s) and ensures HNTB\'s 4 for 4 (Consistent delivery of quality work, on time, on budget, and to the client’s satisfaction on every project) performance. Provides leadership and project controls expertise. Works closely with project manager/director, clients, sub-consultants, project stakeholders and office/district/division leaders to successfully lead all aspects of project controls. May support the office/district/division in related areas to ensure successful, profitable project execution and completion. Provides leadership, training and development and serves as a resource to project controls managers. Serves as a project controls resource for the offices, districts and division. May participate in firm-wide initiatives to further improve project controls processes and value to HNTB.
Primary Focus Will Include:
- Develop and implement an end-to-end change management program using industry best practices. Includes establishing a change governance process, Change Management Plan, procedures, and tools required to manage change effectively across the Program, projects, and contracts.
- Communicate Change Management Plan and procedures and provide training to all the staff involved in managing changes.
- Assist in drafting the applicable provisions of contracts related to change orders and change management for engineering/construction management projects. Propose alternative text/clauses to contracts with a goal to minimize changes and to support a well-defined change and claims management process.
- Manage and control project changes across all projects and ensuring quality and completeness of submitted change management forms and documentation.
- Review, assess, and provide recommendations on project and contract change orders.
- Maintain the Change Control and Claims Master Log and associated status reports.
- Work with project managers, project engineers, schedulers, and estimators in assessing the impact of changes and producing independent estimates and schedule assessments
- Work with scheduling team and project controls manager to analyze delay claims, determine entitlement, and make recommendations for appropriate delay remedies in alignment with contract terms.
- Draft the change orders and amendments to the contracts and ensure that appropriate approvals are obtained.
- Lead each Change Control Board (CCB) meeting, ensuring high-quality review documents are available for each member.
- Coordinate all deliverables and reports associated with the Change Control Board meetings.
- Supports preparation for dispute resolution board hearings or other contractual dispute resolution mechanisms.
- Provide advice and assessment regarding each change, including the claims exposure of applicable contracts.
- Generates and maintains documentation for negotiating change orders. Supports, and leads when requested, in the negotiation of change orders.
- Monitor project changes with budget limitations. Work with schedule, cost, and risk specialists in establishing contingency requirements and tracking contingency drawdown, and forecasting potential changes’ effect on contingency levels.
- Ensure cost and schedule changes are properly incorporated into overall project reporting that drives business performance and risk-based decision making
- As applicable, oversees and coordinates with contract-specific contract managers or change managers.
- Other duties as assigned
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering, Business Management, and/or combination of related experience
- 10+ years of project controls, contract management, and/or change management experience
- Experienced in engineering contract document review, contract administration, and processing and tracking of change orders
- Demonstrated project record preparation and management experience aligning with client manuals and policies
- Strong written and oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of software packages typically associated with project controls (cost management, scheduling, contract management)
- Proficient with MS Office products (Word, Excel, Power Point) to support development of memos, presentations, tracking logs, reports, etc.
What You\'ll Need
- Establishes and manages the project controls staff assigned to the project, including budget/cost estimating, scheduling, document control, risk management and claims analysis functions. Develops and maintains a cost estimating capability to develop construction estimates, prepare independent cost estimates, and support scenario analysis. Oversees and monitors performance, progress and department budgets. Assesses the impact(s) of design/construction changes and schedule slippages and assists project staff in developing work-around and schedule recovery plans.
- Develops and produces weekly, monthly and special reports in a timely manner for the client and PM staff to monitor progress and status of the project, including input from contractor. Creates, edits, and publishes guidelines, manuals, and documents for use by Project staff including the Project Management Plan, Project Controls Manual, and Monthly Project Progress Reports. Develops and maintains relevant project controls procedures and work instructions.
- Supervises the scheduling efforts for the project to include the preparation and analysis of schedule baseline, progress schedules, specialty schedules, schedule analysis and project progress reporting. Assists in or directs the preparation of specialty schedules, project labor forecasts, and cash flows.
- Supervises the cost engineering efforts of the project to include guidance and oversight of the cost management system, preparation of cost report templates, and issue of monthly Cost and Change Management report deliverables. Validates and reports on cost and schedule performance against the baseline estimate and schedule.
- Identifies trends and deviations and recommends corrective courses of action. Recommends solutions or recovery plans for schedule/cost impacts or delays. Communicates to project management the root causes of variances based on relevant analyses.Oversees and guides the implementation, training, and support of a Project Management Control System (PMCS) on relevant projects, including working with PM to integrate project work processes into the PMCS tool.
- Oversees development and maintenance of an automated system that allows for the efficient capturing, storing, retrieval, and reporting of technical and business information including cost and schedule status.
- Supervises the Document Control efforts of the project including the administration, filing, and archiving of engineering, procurement, and construction documents, reports, deliverables, invoices, and other business policies and procedures. Oversees the development and administration of the document control system for the project. Manages the initial configuration and data maintenance of the Project’s chosen document control, cost and scheduling systems.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor\'s degree in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management or Business
- 12 years related experience
- In lieu of education, 16 years related experience
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
EOE including disability and vet
At HNTB, we are harnessing the power of collaboration and innovation to establish a new vision for the future of mobility across our country. You don’t have to look far to see our impact. For more than a century, HNTB’s spark has connected people and places, expanded opportunity, and left a lasting impact on our communities. Our culture of integrity and inclusion, combined with groundbreaking solutions, has affirmed our reputation and positioned our firm as the industry leader in delivering extraordinary value.
When you join HNTB, you are joining an employee-owned firm founded on the values of integrity, collaboration, personal accountability, respect for others, and the development of all employees. We are committed to the continual improvement of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We encourage our employees to bring their whole and authentic selves to work, provide them a meaningful welcoming environment where they are valued, celebrated and respected. Diversity of thought and unique perspectives drives innovation, engagement and retention, which makes HNTB better and brings value to our clients and our communities.
HNTB is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer .
HNTB does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, citizenship status, or other status protected by law. We will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with a disability where appropriate.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, we will hire only U.S. citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States (if the position is or will be one which is subject to U.S. law).
Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is typically not available for entry level positions.
- HNTB participates in E-Verify
- Know your rights: Right to Work